|CV||Voiced by 新谷良子. Aoi Yuuki's cat, also called Amy  inspired the name.|
"I've got a cookie. Want it?"
"You're this little and yet you're all alone. Just like me." - Homura and Amy, meeting for the first time in the Drama CD "Memories of you".
- 日文 | エイミー（えいみい／Eimii）
- 中译 | 艾米
- 英文 | Amy
Template:SpoilersTemplate:Spoilers Amy first appears in the Madoka anime opening, being hugged by the title character. However, she does not appear in the anime proper, leading to much speculation about her purpose.
Amy's story was revealed in the Drama CD "Memories of you". While on her way to school, Homura, just released from the hospital, crossed paths with Amy. Homura talks to her for a while and offers her a cookie.
Afterwards, while Homura was being guided by Madoka to the nurse's office, Amy appeared again. Madoka revealed she knew the cat, and that her name was Amy. In the conversation, they discovered both shared an interest in cats.
Amy appeared a third time while Homura and Madoka are discussing the possibility of Homura becoming a Puella Magi. Her appearance prompted Madoka to explain that her wish was to save Amy from being run over by a car, exactly the kind of feeble wish Mami warned against. Madoka reinforced that warning, using her own example. Amy then jumped into Homura's arms and licked her face, to Madoka's joy, congratulating her for making a new friend in Homura. Madoka asked Homura to take care of Amy, should anything happen to her.
Some time later, while Homura is at home, a powerful storm forms outside, and she wonders if Amy will be okay. Homura is in her thoughts and wonders why Madoka was absent from class that day. Homura then remembers Madoka's warning about powerful storms and wonders if there is a connection with Walpurgis Night, a name which Mami and Madoka used, and if that is the reason for Madoka's absence. Homura decides to do a search on the internet and she learns that it refers to a witch festival from Europe. Homura deduces that it cant be a good thing in the context of magical girls, if Walpurgis Night is a gathering of witches it also means that there could be a battle. This is when the rainstorm starts to get stronger and violent and it worries Homura.
Worried, she rushes outside in middle of the storm, trying to find Madoka, to no avail. Amy comes to her aid, guiding her towards Madoka's location. The story is then assumed to resume at the end of timeline 1, in the anime.
It is unknown what happens to Amy later, but it is likely she still roams around Mitakihara, or dies when hit by a car.
"Where... where are you, Kaname-san?!"
"Amy! Are you trying to show me the way? Take me to where Kaname-san is, Amy!"
"Meow!" - Homura Akemi and Amy, during the night that Walpurgis Night arrives to town for the first time. Drama CD "Memories of you".
- It was Madoka's kindness toward Amy that probably broke the cruel Puella Magi system. If Madoka had never have saved Amy in the first place, Homura would probably never have bonded with Madoka easily (nor see Madoka's kindness toward others, even to a cat) which moved Homura to do the same for Madoka in Timeline 1. And maybe Homura would never have found Madoka during Walpurgis Night without Amy as her guide. It can thus be said that her actions were crucial to setting the end of the cycle in motion.
- In Kazumi Magica, a black cat named Toto appears multiple times in Kazumi's apartment. It can be speculated that this cat is Amy - however, it should be noted that the spinoff manga in question takes place in a different city than the main story.
- It should be noted that the drama CD that introduced Amy was written by Masaki Hiramatsu, Kazumi Magica's author.
- When Homura met Amy for the first time, she nicknamed her Kuroneko (black cat), before she learned the cat's name from Madoka.
- In an interview with Gen Urobuchi, he admits that he was not aware of any cat and that he was surprised when he saw it at the storyboard of the OP. The cat was never part of the original storyline, being a creation of SHAFT for the OP of the Anime. However, SHAFT approached Urobuchi for the Drama CD and asked him to include the cat in it.
- Amy makes her first official appearance in the drama CD Memories of you. It is speculated that she reappears again in the Sunny Day Life drama CD, she is only known as Kuroneko.
- Amy's name was inspired by Aoi Yuuki's cat (of the same name), because of their similarities.
- Originally it was the fans who named the cat Amy during the show's period of high speculation regarding the truth about the black cat. The staff decided to go along with it.
- In western superstition, black cats are a sign of bad luck and they are normally associated with Witches. They have often been looked upon as a symbol of evil omens, specifically being suspected of being the familiars of witches.
- However, in Japan black cats are considered to be good luck.
- Specially, since Amy plays an important role to save Madoka (and company).
- However, in Japan black cats are considered to be good luck.
- Scientific Trivia: Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, usually described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. It illustrates what he saw as the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics applied to everyday objects. The scenario presents a cat that might be alive or dead, depending on an earlier random event. Although the original "experiment" was imaginary, similar principles have been researched and used in practical applications. The Cat paradox is also often featured in theoretical discussions of the interpretation of quantum mechanics. In the course of developing this experiment, Schrödinger coined the term Verschränkung (entanglement).
- Since Schrödinger's time, other interpretations of quantum mechanics have been proposed that give different answers to the questions posed by Schrödinger's cat of how long superpositions last and when (or whether) they collapse. One of those interpretations is the Many-worlds interpretation.
- Before the Drama CD was released, there were past speculations regarding the cat in the OP and its relationship with the storyline and Madoka. There were many wild theories regarding that cat only to find out in an interview with Urobuchi that it was just something made for the OP.
- Similarly, there were many speculations regarding Madoka's first wish (one that included cake). The Drama CD explains that Madoka’s wish in the original timeline was to save Amy who was ran over by a car, which does not concur with any theory known to have been proposed, so far. In retrospect, it should be no surprise to one that knows Madoka's personality.
Madoka and Amy OP.png
Madoka and Amy in the anime opening.
Madoka and Amy OP close up.png
Close up of Madoka and Amy.
Madoka amy wish psp.png
Madoka and Amy in the PSP game
8286 - akemi homura cat puella magi madoka magica.jpeg
Official art of Homura and Amy.
Amy is seen in the last shot of the opening sequence on Sayaka's lap.
Aoi Yuuki cat Amy.jpg
Close up of Aoi Yuuki with her cat Amy.
Aoi Yuuki cat.jpg
Article on Aoi Yuuki with photos of her cat.
Memories of You Fan art.jpg
Fanart depicting Madoka, Homura, and Amy together.
Homura and Amy.jpg
Fanart depiction of Homura and Amy together, dispelling any rumors that they are one and the same.
Homura amy red ribbon.jpg
Homura wearing Madoka's red ribbon and holding Amy.
Fanart amy madoka op.jpg
Fanart depiction of Madoka with Amy in the anime opening.
Homumado with amy.jpg
Amy has two mommies
Madoka homura amy cute in the park.jpg
Homura madoka amy flowers.jpg
Homumado heart breaking ami cat fanart.jpg
- Knowing Madoka, it is possible Amy is still alive in the new world or she is with her in the Puellae Magi afterlife. Likewise, knowing Homura and how to-heart she takes promises made to Madoka, it is likely she went out of her way to save the cat and kill two birds with one stone by also preventing Madoka from wishing for her safety.